Thursday, July 22, 2010

What's in a name! Really!


Okay with a last name like Growcock you pretty much hear all the jokes. Over the last thirteen years I’ve just learned to role my eyes and move on. I could go on an on about the things people have said, but suffice it to say I won’t. There is really only one story I have that I feel is worth repeating about our last name, and that’s because it involves two of my favorite people. Hayden and my mom.

Several years ago, okay not that long ago really as Hayden is only going to be five soon, but about the time he was really grasping language and using his words my parents came out for a visit. Hayden had picked up on calling my dad grandpa right away, but seemed to be struggling with calling my mom grandma. My mom just loved Hayden and loved to interact with him all the time. While we were in the car Hayden would sit in his car seat between my mom and I. During a particular drive my mom would shake Hayden’s hand and say to him “Hello, Mr. Growcock.” This she did repeatedly through out the day.

Hayden just loves having my parents come to visit and the first thing he does in the morning is try to head downstairs to see grandma and grandpa. The following morning after the rendition of the “Hello, Mr. Growcock" Hayden got out of bed and headed for the stairs. When I asked him what he was doing his response to me was “Go down and see grandpa and cock.” I about fell over laughing, he couldn’t quite work out calling my mom grandma but he sure picked up on the “cock” from the day before.

Through out the whole visit Hayden continued to refer to my mom as cock and even for several months after they had left. Luckily he forgot and now calls her grandma.

Cock, oh my!

No comments:

Post a Comment