Tuesday, November 2, 2010

The car lot and a promise.

This morning I was taking the boys to school along the same route they have been going since starting at their new school back in September. I have been enjoying my time being at home and have been taking advantage of the opportunity to take them to school and pick them up while I am home for this short time.

Anyway we were driving along and there really isn't much to see on the last stretch of road right before the school a dumpy old restaurant a car lot, a church and a couple of small office buildings. As we are passing all of this Hayden says to me, "Mom when you come and pick us up can we go there on our way home." Very perplexed I look around and don't really see anything. So I say to Hayden stop where. And he says back there because we are still driving and have passed the place he wanted to stop. So I say to him, "We'll talk about it when I come and pick you up." I figure on my way back I will see what it is he wants to stop and look at because for the life of me I can't figure it out. So I drop the boys off and head home to do some work and I don't see anything that I think would catch his attention.

Later that afternoon when I pick the boys up from school I ask Hayden to point out to me what he wants to stop and see. As we are driving by he points to this . . .
It is a dumpy car lot and repair place. Why he wants to stop is beyond me so I ask him. And his response to me is, "I want to look for the car I am going to drive when I get bigger." Now the boy is five years old. Why is he worried about what kind of car he is going to drive more than eleven years from now?

Needless to say we didn't stop and I promised Hayden when the time comes his dad and I will get him a better car than was in the car lot he was so interested in, as long as he keeps his grades up and continues to make good choices. So here it is in black and white my promise to buy Hayden (and Turner) and car when they are old enough should they prove to be responsible enough to own one.

No comments:

Post a Comment