Sunday, April 10, 2011

Two firsts . . .

A couple of months ago I got an email from a fellow coworker asking if I would be interested in participating in the first annual Diva Dash. I figured it was a couple of months away and it would help to keep me motivated regarding my workout routine. So I agreed and forked over my money to sign up.




A couple of months later and the time has arrived. What was I thinking? 3.1 miles (5K) with obstacles, oh man! I knew I could do the running, but I was a little concerned about the obstacles. I was quite proud of myself as this was the first race/adventure I have ever taken apart in. I was disappointed as I did have to walk some because there was this huge hill that about kicked my bum. I got all the way up the hill by picturing Hayden cheering me on, but once at the top I had to stop. The second thing that stopped me was the trampoline tubes on the water. There were five of them and you had to jump from one to the other or fall in the water. By the last one I was dying and dragged myself on barely and layed there like a dead person. And then if was off to the finish line.




This is a picture of me running to the finish line. If you could see close up you'd see my cheeks are bright red.



This is me at the end. I was to tired to suck my gut in and to lazy to photoshop it out.


Kirsten, myself, Corina and Jeanette we were quite proud of ourselves. There were actually ten people total from my office who participated and we all had a great time.


I was grateful for this opportunity and I had a great time running. I have gained a new love for running and even feel a little out of sorts when I miss my work out for more than a day or two. So this was my first race/adventure and I hope it won't be my last. A new found


As a side note I have to give a shout out to my dad. He accompanied me up to Austin for the race and had it not been for him I probably would not have made. Half way to Austin I realized I left my bag at home with my race number and change of clothes.


Additionally it took way longer to get there than I had anticipated and parking was crazy with the shuttles. There was no way I was going to make my wave start time. I was ready to get back in the car, with tears in my eyes and go home without running. But my sweet dad drove me to the drop off point at the start of the race and I made it with two minutes to spare. He then parked the car and came back to cheer me on and take pictures. What an awesome dad, I am such a lucky girl.

1 comment:

  1. Shannon that is so awesome and you look amazing.

    ReplyDelete