Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Negative People


Negative people drive me nuts. I’m okay with being down once in awhile and a little complaining is normal. But out and out right negativity I just can’t handle. I say this because of a person I work with. I have worked with this individual for about five years now. For the most part as Special Agents we work fairly independently on our own cases and occasionally get assistance from the support staff or other agents as needed. I’ve always known this individual had a negative streak, but in my current position I have had the opportunity to see just how deep and wide this streak is. For the last several months I have been the Acting Supervisory Special Agent in my office while they are trying to find a permanent person for the job. The opportunity has allowed me to expand my horizons and see if management is right for me. As such I have been working with this individual not as a contemporary, but as a boss.

There is a phrase I like to use with Dave to help him keep an open mind about things when he gets on a negative kick and can’t see any way to overcome a situation. It goes something like, “Why don’t you just slam that door shut,” meaning your right it is hopeless lets not even try. It is my sarcastic way of getting him to look at other options and see that just because one door closes doesn’t mean there isn’t another opportunity (door or even window) he can choose.

I have heard in the past about how management has tried to extend a hand to help this negative individual advance their career, only to throw their hands up in the air in frustration. I thought I would be able to get through to them because of prior dealings we've had with each other, so the other day I had to have what is called a Workload review with this negative person and when it was done, I just wanted to cry. Despite the smile on their face every word that came out of this persons mouth was nothing but negative and every action or suggestions was taken as a personal affront. It was so draining. I just can’t even imagine how this person functions in daily life being so negative. Not only do they slam shut any door of opportunity; they are dead bolting it and throwing away the key.

So I guess the lesson to learn is how not to be and that not everything is a personal affront. And most of the time the hand that is reaching out is not there to slap you down but to lift you up so be careful before you take a bite out of it. And as for this hand it won’t be extended in their direction again.

No comments:

Post a Comment