Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Televisions - A love hate thing.


I've been thinking about the television a lot lately. Probably because it seems to be on at my house all the time, I go to sleep with the TV on and I wake up with the TV on. Sometimes all three of our TV's are on at the same time even when no one is watching them. I'm not necessarily proud of this fact. It's not that I love the TV so much, I actually am ambivalent towards the TV. When I am cleaning the house (I know a rarity) I prefer either the radio or nothing. I do enjoy the occasional television show and now that we have the AT&T U verse and can record up to four shows at one time, I watch way more TV than I otherwise would. I don’t actually ever watch anything when it is being broadcast, everything I watch has been recorded so I can watch it when I want and fast forward through the commercials.

But my problem comes in with my sweet husband. See as a child he wasn’t allowed to watch the TV so now as an adult I think he is trying to make up for this deprivation in his early years. So as I said he likes to watch before he goes to bed and once he steps out of the shower the TV comes on. I try not to harp to much, but there does come a point when I have to say enough is enough, especially when it is effecting my piece of mind. Dave does recognize that sometimes the TV is to much for me to handle with everything else going on and he will turn it off. But sometimes I feel like I am competing with the TV for his attention. This bothers me.

We have several shows we watch together like the CSI’s, Criminal Minds, NCIS’s, Castle, Cold Case, Three Rivers, Trauma, White Collar and Lie to Me to name a few. Then Dave has his shows from either the Food Network or the Syfy channel. And I have mine Gossip Girl, Glee, Survivor, The Amazing Race, Grey’s Anatomy, The Good Wife, Ace of Cakes, 18 Kids and Counting, The Cake Boss and Nip/Tuck. Nip/Tuck is one I just can’t stop watching because the people are so dysfunctional and it is so far outside the realm of my life and my values it scares and fascinates me.
Anyway there are a couple of shows I have asked Dave not to ever have on in our home just because I really don’t like them. These include off the top of my head Family Guy, American Dad and Married with Children. I just find nothing redeeming about these shows, and not only that I feel they detract from the home environment.

I honestly believe if it wasn’t for Dave I wouldn’t have cable (satellite) television. I’m thinking it might not be a bad idea to get rid of it, but I don’t want to deprive Dave any more than he already has been.

Just my general thoughts.

No comments:

Post a Comment