
Last week I was asked to sit on an interview panel at work for agents like myself who are applying for the GS-13 position. I fortunately enough got my 13 a couple of years ago after applying for it several times. The 13 process is one I struggle with, but understand the need for in the long run.
Basically a special agent will get a promotion from whatever GS level they are hired at to the next level every year until they get to be a GS-12. At that point they go up a step within that GS level each year. Once you have been a 12 for a year you are eligible to apply for a GS-13 position, which is supposed to be a competitive position. Ultimately you are still a special agent no matter what GS level you are at; you just get more money for doing the same job the hire up your GS number. This is sometime a heated topic when someone gets a 13 and someone else does not.
In years past each Field Office would decide when to announce the GS-13 positions and each candidate had to complete a lengthy narrative of eight questions called KSA's (knowledge, skills and abilities) which basically talked about all you had accomplished in your career and how wonderful you were. You would send these into Washington DC and a panel or someone ranks them and decides if you meet the BQ (Best Qualified) list. If you BQ'ed your name was then submitted to your local Field Office, Special Agent in Charge (SAC) and the Assistant Special Agent in Charge's (ASAC) who made the ultimate decision.
Basically a special agent will get a promotion from whatever GS level they are hired at to the next level every year until they get to be a GS-12. At that point they go up a step within that GS level each year. Once you have been a 12 for a year you are eligible to apply for a GS-13 position, which is supposed to be a competitive position. Ultimately you are still a special agent no matter what GS level you are at; you just get more money for doing the same job the hire up your GS number. This is sometime a heated topic when someone gets a 13 and someone else does not.
In years past each Field Office would decide when to announce the GS-13 positions and each candidate had to complete a lengthy narrative of eight questions called KSA's (knowledge, skills and abilities) which basically talked about all you had accomplished in your career and how wonderful you were. You would send these into Washington DC and a panel or someone ranks them and decides if you meet the BQ (Best Qualified) list. If you BQ'ed your name was then submitted to your local Field Office, Special Agent in Charge (SAC) and the Assistant Special Agent in Charge's (ASAC) who made the ultimate decision.
When I originally applied for my 13 way back in the day I had to complete my KSA's. I didn't make the BQ list the first year. The second year I did, but was not give a 13 for whatever reason. Despite the fact everyone who was a firearms coordinator was given one, even those with less time and experience than me. But I digress, and I'm not bitter, anymore. The following year I didn't make the BQ list again with the exact same KSA's. What the heck! Needless to say I was quite upset as was my supervisor at the time.
The following year they changed the process and it was an online process. When the announcement came out nationwide (once a year) you completed the main application by answering multiple choice questions about your career to date. Based on these answers it was determined if you made the BQ list at which point your name was submitted to the FO and you had to go through a panel interview and perform a writing exercise. My interview was with the SAC and two ASAC's at the time. The mock interview I did prior to the real thing did not prepare me for the actual interview by any means. After the interview I remember leaving and thinking I had done okay on the writing, but had totally bombed the interview and I probably wouldn't be getting my 13 again. Later that week I got a call to come to the SAC's office and was told they were giving me my GS-13 because they knew what I was capable of as an agent and my supervisor was really rooting for me. (Thanks again Rich!)
So after applying and applying and applying, I finally got it.
So now to last week and sitting in on the panel interviews. It was the same questions I was given the last time I applied. My heart when out to these agents as I remember being in their exact shoes. My struggle being on the panel was of all the candidates there were four people from my post of duties. These are people that I know and work with on a regular basis and even sometimes socialize with outside of the office. I wanted to help them so much, but in the interest of being fair I had to take a step back. To see them struggle through the answers was so difficult and it was so hard to put my own feelings aside in my final evaluation. In the end I was surprised at the people I thought would do so well either failed, or only barely did okay and the ones I didn't expect much out of soared.
I wanted to pass each one of the candidates for just making it to the interview process and feel so bad that some of them will be told they didn't get their 13. I remember being sad and angry and hurt each time I was denied what I thought I had earned. It was hard to put down a "no" for someone who has been an agent for several years and been through the 13 process several times, but just doesn't seem to have the on the job experience necessary. It was just as hard to put "yes" for the agent who is applying for their first time but has all the experience a 13 needs.
This week the results will be announced. I know there will be smiles and congratulations for some, and heartache and anger for others. I know I may be blamed, but I also know I was honest with my decisions and recommendations.
And ultimately this was a good opportunity for my career. Not that I want to be a Supervisory Special Agent right now, but the schmooze factor of being asked to do the interviews by our SAC when she could have chosen so many others, and working with the two ASAC's was an opportunity I could not pass up.
Your job is for smart people, that would not be me! I would be a negative 13.
ReplyDelete